Women of Hope Blog
Read stories from listeners of TWR Women of Hope.
Feb23FriFebruary 23, 2018 by the TWR Women of Hope Ministry Team
- Filed Under:
- TWR Women of Hope Prayer Calendar
Praying for Women in Northeast Asia
Women in the Northeast Asian countries of China, Japan, North Korea and South Korea live lives that differ dramatically from one another. TWR Women of Hope’s global prayer movement and media outreach strive to address their unique situations.
Women in China face great challenges, many of which are brought about by the traditional view that women are less valuable than men. China is the only country in which suicides among women outnumber those among men.
China’s one-child family planning policy from 1979-2015 resulted in millions of traumatic forced abortions. Sadly, many families insisted that their pregnant young women abort female babies to ensure that only prized sons would be born. The two-child policy that started in 2015 has resulted in an increased birthrate. Today, though, because of the millions of baby girls never born, the country strives to overcome the challenges resulting from a mismatch between the lower number of women of childbearing age and the estimated 33 million men who cannot find brides.
In North Korea, people continue to have limited food, water and sanitation. Around 18 million, or 70 percent of the population, suffer malnutrition and struggle with unmet health issues. Some desperate women risk everything trying to escape the country and often are forced to work in brothels or become “brides” of men in China. If caught by authorities in China, many are sent back to North Korea, where they face torture in labour camps or execution.
South Korea is now home to more than 30,000 North Korean defectors, including about 16,000 women who traveled through China, Vietnam and Mongolia to obtain freedom. TWR Women of Hope’s Korean team desires to help lead them to our Lord Jesus Christ.
Please pray for ...
1. Christians in Northeast Asia to live in a way that honours God, cultivating an outward appearance that reflects the values taught in God’s Word. “Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh” (Romans 13:14).
2. Christian women around the globe praying together today during the World Day of Prayer events in 170 countries.
3. Wives to continue standing firm in God’s truth despite suffering because of their Christian faith or facing opposition from their unbelieving husbands.
4. God’s guidance and physical strength for the Mandarin Women of Hope production team. Pray that listeners of the programs on shortwave radio or the internet will respond to Christ’s offer of salvation.
5. Women in 36 prayer groups in China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan who are reading the Chinese translation of the prayer requests and then praying in their heart languages and dialects.
6. God's protection over Chinese women in ministry as they share God’s truths. Pray that God will bless them with good health, joyful hearts and adequate provisions and that they will be cared for and respected by their church members.
7. Women in China who are forced to undergo operations to take away their ability to reproduce. Pray also for women who endured enormous fines, physical abuse or imprisonment because they did not abort their babies.
8. Pressure on families in China, where most adults have no siblings, aunts or uncles. Often, couples have to take care of four elderly parents. Many young couples are choosing not to have children for financial reasons.
9. More girls in China to have the opportunity to study. Many parents still believe that it is a waste of time and money for girls to be educated. As a result, many women are unable to obtain good jobs because of their lack of skills and knowledge.
10. China’s minority women to have the opportunity to hear Women of Hope programs in their heart languages and in a way that speaks to their needs.
11. Chinese women who are considering suicide. China’s female suicide numbers are the highest in the world (about 590 a day). Pray that through the Women of Hope programs these women will hear the message of hope in Christ and begin to sense their value to God, their Creator.
12. God’s intervention and protection for the women in China who face rape, abduction and slavery. Because of the shortage of women, many foreign and rural girls are sold into “marriages” against their will and are sometimes shared by brothers.
13. Chinese and Korean parents to value the lives of girls, realizing that they are a gift of God. Abortion is used as birth control with little regard for the life being destroyed. Many younger single women have several abortions and do not hear of the dangers this has on their health.
14. China to stop deporting South Korean Christians who are trying to help those escaping starvation in North Korea.
15. Single women who are serving the Lord and need comfort and encouragement when they face struggles without the support of husbands or families.
16. Christian mothers to become good role models through the power of the Holy Spirit. Pray that they will love God’s Word, cherish opportunities at church to worship and learn, desire to serve God and others, and strive to walk closely with God. “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full” (John 10:10b).
17. The Korean Women of Hope production and translation team of 30 volunteers, which is providing hope and encouragement to women in North Korea. They receive no response from this isolated country, where Christian women face horrible abuse.
18. The volunteers distributing to foreigners in South Korea the prayer calendars in the Cambodian, Chinese, Indonesian, Japanese, Tagalog, Thai and Vietnamese languages. Pray that more people will join the prayer movement through these migrant people groups in South Korea.
19. More opportunities to present TWR Women of Hope’s ministry to pastors and church groups in South Korea and beyond.
20. Korean women living in countries around the world to form prayer groups that will support the efforts to reach more women through the Korean Women of Hope programs. The programs can also be heard online at TWR 360.
21. God to grant the underground church in North Korea strength, perseverance and renewed faith each day to overcome persecution and hardship.
22. Safety for the ministry organizations delivering radios, Bibles and relief goods to North Koreans. “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers” (Galatians 6:9-10).
23. Those who desperately flee North Korea and pass through China, Vietnam and Mongolia to eventually reach South Korea. South Korea is now home to more than 30,000 defectors, including about 16,000 women. They deeply miss their families in North Korea and struggle to find employment.
24. Protection for North Koreans who entered China illegally to escape starvation and often are forced to work in brothels or marry Chinese men. Pray for South Korean Christians who teach God’s truths to North Koreans in China and other countries.
25. The majority of North Koreans, who are starving and have little freedom. Pray that God will rescue his children from these horrible circumstances. “The Lord said, ‘I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering’” (Exodus 3:7).
26. Christians in Northeast Asia to overcome temptations, to live pure lives and to proclaim the gospel and transform their societies. “You are the light of the world. … Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:14, 16).
27. Country leaders in Northeast Asia as they prepare for possible conflict in the region. China is already building a network of refugee camps along its border with North Korea.
28. Protection against sexual harassment for women in the workplace. Pray that men of God will stand firm in their faith and have the courage to stand up for women who are abused.
29. Young women and teenagers in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam who are in danger of being sold to Chinese men as “wives” because there are so few females available in the rural areas.
30. The many who have not yet heard the message of God’s grace. Through prayer, claim for God the women, men and children from every nation, tribe, people and language who will bow before God and acknowledge him as Lord.
31. Chinese and Korean women in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, North and South Korea and around the world. Ask that they will be led to pray for one another and to help women who are suffering and need to experience God’s love.