Women of Hope Blog
Read stories from listeners of TWR Women of Hope.
Sep29FriSeptember 29, 2017 by the TWR Canada Women’s Ministry Team
- Filed Under:
- TWR Women of Hope Prayer Calendar
Praying for Women Hurt by Abortion
With around 56 million abortions performed worldwide every year, untold numbers of women are facing the anguish, guilt, anger, and desperation that follows. While abortion advocates say they are for a woman’s freedom to choose, the reality is that many women facing an unplanned pregnancy feel they have no freedom and no choice. They feel abandoned and afraid, and they believe that abortion is their only option.
Because abortion is legal and supported by their cultures, many women believe it’s the right thing to do. Many others, however, have come to realize that abortion not only kills innocent babies but also negatively affects the lives of the women who carried them.
Scientific studies in Australia, Denmark, China, Finland, India, New Zealand, Sweden, Turkey, and other countries show that abortions do hurt women. Abortion-inducing drugs cause complications that require emergency treatment and sometimes even cause death. Surgical abortions can result in life-threatening hemorrhage and infection. Abortions can result in higher risk of future infertility, stillbirths and premature births, and miscarriages. Studies show an increased risk of breast cancer. Furthermore, many women suffer deep mental and spiritual pain after their abortion.
Many women chose to abort because they were taught that the baby was only a mass of tissue. Some abortion supporters do not want the biological facts about the baby’s development taught in schools or to women facing difficult choices.
The baby’s tiny heart begins to beat 22 days after fertilization. By the seventh week, the baby's eyes, inner ears, and major organs (heart, lungs, liver, and kidneys) are developing. Eight weeks after conception, all the baby’s organs, muscles, and nerves begin to function. By the ninth week, the baby’s whole body except the tongue is sensitive to touch. The brain is growing rapidly and producing more than 250,000 nerve cells a minute. At 10 weeks the brain is fully formed, and the baby can feel pain.
Please pray for …
1. Mothers to choose life for their unborn children instead of abortion. Pray that when a pregnancy is unintended or unwanted, the mother would give up the baby for adoption so that someone who cannot have a child will be able to give the baby the love, protection, and care she or he needs.
2. The gift of life to be cherished as the work of God our Creator. “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him? You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honour” (Psalm 8:3-5).
3. Parents and community, church, and school officials to teach abstinence so that children will know that postponing sexual relationships can better their lives and allow them to be healthier and happier adults.
4. Indian officials to do more to stop the horrible practice of parents killing their baby girls because they desire a son or do not want the financial burden that they fear a girl will be on the family. According to the Asian Center for Human Rights, millions of Indian girls have been victims of sex-selective abortions and female infanticide (source).
5. Wisdom for TWR Women of Hope staff as they provide effective counseling to Women of Hope listeners who believe abortion is their only choice.
6. The mothers of the over 13 million babies who estimates indicate could be aborted in China this year.
7. Officials in the United States and Canada to do more to protect women from abortion clinics that have health and safety violations. Women have died as a result of abortionists improperly administering anesthesia; puncturing the uterus; not removing all the tissue of the aborted baby; or using unsanitary equipment, causing infections. Untreated blood clots or heavy bleeding also cause the deaths of women after abortions.
8. Pro-life groups and individuals to have the freedom to speak in public and at educational forums and to distribute information on fetal development, the dangers of abortion, locations where mothers can receive free sonograms and counseling, and adoption alternatives. “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute” (Proverbs 31:8).
9. Unborn children whose mothers are considering abortion. “My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be” (Psalm 139:15-16).
10. More studies to be done to determine if women who have abortions have a higher rate of breast cancer, as indicated by a 2007 report in the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons (source).
11. Women who are pregnant as a result of rape and need to find physical and emotional healing in Christ Jesus’ love and compassion through the care and support of his followers. “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit” (Romans 15:13).
12. Teenagers who are being encouraged to have abortions. Pray for Christian women to show God’s love to girls in high schools and universities and to teach them to respect themselves and make plans for a healthy life instead of allowing boys and men to use them.
13. Those who courageously and publicly defend the rights of unborn children around the world. Pray for the 40 Days for Life campaign September 27-November 5 taking place in more than 700 cities in 44 countries. Pray that hundreds of babies’ lives will be saved and their mothers given support and hope during the days ahead.
14. God, who is able to change hearts and direct the course of nations, to turn the tide and empower national leaders to act on behalf of unborn babies and women who receive false information about the development of their babies and the dangers of medical and surgical abortions.
15. Fathers to love and cherish the mothers of their children and to provide a home, food, clothing, and other needs for their families. Pray that fathers who regret having participated in the decision to abort their children will find healing in Christ.
16. Our heavenly Father to teach us to “seek justice, encourage the oppressed, defend the cause of the fatherless, and plead the case of the widow” (Isaiah 1:17).
17. Women who have aborted their babies and have experienced guilt, anger, and shame. Pray that they will seek the Lord’s forgiveness and healing. Pray for those who speak out to warn others of the haunting consequences of their choices, as demonstrated by the Silent No More Awareness Campaign.
18. Millions of women who are forced by family, boyfriends, governments, and pimps to abort their babies. Pray for mothers in China who experience the horrible abuse of being taken by force to a hospital by family planning officials and having their unborn child injected with a fatal drug.
19. God’s Spirit to move in power to protect the estimated 56 million unborn children worldwide who could be aborted this year.
20. Governments to provide training for doctors and midwives in the prevention of fistulas and to provide well-equipped health centers throughout their countries so women can reach the clinics before their babies arrive. In Ethiopia, 94 percent of women give birth without the help of a properly trained health worker, and many of the women have small-framed bodies, making delivery more difficult (source).
21. Young women and girls to learn that they are precious and deserve to be treated with respect and to strive for a better future.
22. Women and teenagers who are considering suicide after they have had abortions; they need friends who will show them God’s love and care. Many women and teenagers were forced to get abortions, and now they are dealing with the emotional pain that is often unbearable.
23. Mothers who are in danger of birth-related injuries like fistulas, which leave them incontinent and in pain. Many are abandoned by their husbands or confined to their homes because they cannot afford the needed surgery to repair the damage.
24. Leaders to realize that abortion affects their communities and nations when millions of baby girls are killed because their cultures teach that boys are more valuable to the family. An estimated 117 million women are believed to be missing in Asia and Eastern Europe – the result of local populations preferring sons and practicing gender-biased sex selection (source).
25. Our God to touch the hearts of mothers around the world with his compassionate and merciful love so they learn to value, protect, educate, and care for their children, whatever their circumstances.
26. The safety of pregnant women who are in danger of domestic violence, many times leading to death. Pray that family, friends, and neighbours will speak up when they suspect abuse and that they will protect those who want help.
27. Parents to encourage their daughters to get an education, learn skills for employment, and make good choices that will not hinder them from reaching their goals and that will enable them to give their children better lives.
28. Better health care for women around the world who are in danger of dying during pregnancy, childbirth, or soon after giving birth. Pray that women would become better aware of how to care for themselves and their unborn babies and that officials would fight the corruption that frequently prevents better medical care.
29. Wisdom and encouragement for TWR Women of Hope’s workers who not only translate the Women of Hope program scripts and prayer calendars but also hold health seminars, teach skills for earning income, distribute donated radios, lead prayer groups and Bible studies, pray for listeners, and answer letters.
30. The provision of better health care to reduce the hundreds of thousands of annual deaths from preventable childbirth-related causes (source).
31. TWR Women of Hope as we prepare for our 20th anniversary, giving thanks to God for all he is doing in the lives of women.