Women of Hope Blog
Subscribe to TWR Canada’s weekly Women of Hope email to receive daily prayer requests, updates and stories of impact from the TWR Women of Hope global ministry.View RSS Feed
Read stories from listeners of TWR Women of Hope.
Read stories from listeners of TWR Women of Hope.
Feb23ThuFebruary 23, 2017 by Women of Hope Project Hannah
- Filed Under:
- TWR Women of Hope Prayer Calendar
Praying for Women Impacting a World in Need
Despite many obstacles and regardless of whether they receive recognition, women usually find ways to make a positive difference in the lives of their families, friends, and communities. Although historical records often overlook them, women have been powerful driving forces in education, medicine, politics, Christian ministry, science, and many other occupations. God has given women the capacity to find ways to heal the brokenness in this world, from comforting the dying to governing countries.
Dr. Catherine Hamlin is a great example. Dr. Hamlin and her husband were obstetrician-gynecologists who moved from Australia to Ethiopia to set up a midwifery school in Addis Ababa in the late 1950s. They refined a surgical technique to close fistula injuries suffered by women during childbirth and established Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital, the only medical center at that time dedicated to treating the condition.
Catherine continued her practice even after her husband died in 1993. Her work has changed the lives of more than 50,000 women and their families and built a legacy of medical care spanning over 550 trained staff, a rehabilitation center, Hamlin College of Midwives, and 34 rural health centers. Dr. Hamlin is now 93.
It is legacies like Dr. Hamlin’s that remind us of the incredible ways God can use women. In honor of International Women’s Day on March 8, let’s celebrate and pray the whole month for the countless women who continue to bravely change history and improve the lives of so many. Pray that family members and those in leadership will empower more girls and women to courageously use the talents, intellects, and passion God has given them.
Please pray for …
1. World, church, and community leaders to empower girls and women to reach their highest potential and dare to become artists, athletes, business leaders, doctors, mothers, musicians, nurses, politicians, teachers, and wives who improve the lives of others and honour God in all they do.
2. God’s protection, guidance, and blessing on the hundreds of TWR Women of Hope staff and volunteers around the world who face many challenges as they reach out to women who are in need of friendship and God’s love.
3. Perseverance for the thousands of women in hundreds of TWR Women of Hope prayer groups in Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Europe who have accepted God’s calling to the work of prayer. Pray for those who translate the monthly prayer requests into more than 85 languages and those who distribute them so women in 125 countries can pray together for God’s glory.
4. Women who work hard translating scripts, voicing the content on the air, and producing Women of Hope programs in 70 languages. Pray that these programs will continue to encourage women who have lost hope, to strengthen women who feel weak, to lift the fallen, to challenge the healthy, to help those who need assistance, to inspire all listeners to walk closely with the Lord, and to remind the isolated believer that she is not alone.
5. Women who have moved to foreign countries, remote villages, crowded cities, and horrible slums to open or work in clinics, schools, churches, refuge homes, and other institutions to meet the needs of the masses or the isolated poor.
6. Women working in government offices and areas of leadership in their communities. Pray that they will defend and lift up women and children and encourage officials to arrest and prosecute abusers.
7. Women in organizations that courageously work with world and local leaders to give hope and a better future to victims of slavery, sexual exploitation, and other forms of violent oppression.
8. International Women’s Day events around the world as people celebrate the great cultural, economic, political, religious, and social accomplishments of women throughout history. Pray that many will be encouraged to assist women and girls who desire to make a positive difference in their homes and communities.
9. Midwives to receive proper training to care for women giving birth. Pray for Christian women who are financially helping women suffering from fistulas, prolapsed uteruses, and female circumcisions so that they can get the needed surgery.
10. Christian women working in clinics and hospitals where they struggle with inadequate supplies and staff to meet the vast needs of the sick and helpless.
11. Women in business offices who are harassed, disrespected, and underpaid. Pray that men and women supervisors, managers, and business owners will show respect to the women who work for them.
12. Women teachers, professors, and educational leaders to respect female students and give them the confidence they need to accomplish the tasks before them.
13. Women involved in engineering, mathematics, scientific research, and other professions often considered areas for men only. Pray that they will confidently use the intellect God has given them.
14. Girls to find role models among the many Christian artists, dancers, musicians, and entertainers who live moral, Christ-centered lives. Pray that these role models would encourage girls to respect themselves through how they dress, act, and treat others.
15. Women who are grieving the loss of parents, husbands, children, or other family members to know the peace that can come only from God. Pray that God would help them get through the day and see what he has for them in the days ahead.
16. Fathers, husbands, brothers, and everyone else to realize that everyone loses and communities do not thrive when women and girls are not allowed to reach their highest potential and use the gifts and passion God has given them.
17. Women and girls who did not have an opportunity to learn to read or write. Ask the Lord to help them know that he loves them, has a purpose for them, and wants them to use their talents and passions for his glory. Many oral learners have an amazing capacity to memorize vast amounts of information or possess extraordinary talents that benefit others.
18. God’s protection of women who help those who experience domestic violence in their homes. Pray that authorities will arrest and punish abusers who try to use violent words, controlling behaviour, or physical and sexual abuse to cause women to live in fear and humiliation.
19. Women who provide clothing, medical care, school fees, or safe homes for orphans. Pray for girls who are helping their grandmothers care for their younger siblings or are trying to do it on their own.
20. Widows and abandoned wives who work hard to provide for their families. “Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked” (Psalm 82:3-4).
21. TWR Women of Hope teams visiting and teaching women in prisons in Angola, Albania, Brazil, Cambodia, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Ghana, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Liberia, Nepal, Paraguay, Portugal, South Africa, Tanzania, Thailand, and other countries.
22. More women and girls to courageously speak up and take steps to better their lives. Some cultures do not acknowledge the opinions of females, and the male family members make all the decisions that control the women’s daily lives.
23. Women who work hard to provide clean water to prevent disease and death among their families and communities, thereby encouraging healthy living that glorifies God.
24. God’s wisdom and protection over women who courageously visit refugee camps to tell people about Jesus and to encourage them to listen to TWR radio programs.
25. Women and girls to know their identity in Christ and their value to their families, churches, and communities.
26. Women and girls who have rejected the bondage of witchcraft, ancestor worship, and other false religious practices and now follow Christ. Many are rejected by their families, and often their lives are threatened. Pray they will experience the power of the Holy Spirit as they sacrifice much for the God and Saviour they worship and love.
27. Women who feel rejected by their churches because of restrictions on women in ministry. Pray that these women will continue to be faithful to God’s calling on their lives even if they can’t hold the title or receive the recognitions that men receive.
28. Christian women who show hospitality to others and welcome them into their homes not expecting anything in return. Pray that God would provide for them and their families.
29. Those who are working to rescue children who are used as prostitutes. Pray that these children would have a safe place to heal, live, and learn about God. “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy” (Proverbs 31:8-9).
30. Women who are friends and helpers to those considering ending their pregnancies through abortion. Many women are pressured by family members, boyfriends, or community officials, and others choose to abort their babies because they have been taught that their babies are just masses of tissue.
31. Women to experience the true joy that comes from praising God in the midst of pain and desperation. Pray also for women who are experiencing anguish or depression and not able to pray.