Women of Hope Blog
Read stories from listeners of TWR Women of Hope.
Dec25FriDecember 25, 2020 by the TWR Canada Team
- Filed Under:
- TWR Women of Hope Prayer Calendar
The Gospel and Education in Nepal
Only 57 per cent of Nepalese women are literate. When girls do not have access to education, their choices are limited. Many become child brides and end up totally dependent on their husbands and restricted to domestic duties in the home. Uneducated girls and women, whether they marry as child brides or older, are more likely to be subject to various mentally and physically unhealthy living situations.
TWR Nepal and TWR Women of Hope work together to continue educating and training women, many from the country’s most rural areas.
In early 2020, 30 women from the eastern area of Nepal gathered for a three-month basic training course. Learning to sew encouraged the women that they would be able to earn a living to help their families and improve their financial situations. They also were introduced to the Women of Hope radio program. Some were already listeners, and some heard for the first time what it means to trust in Jesus.
There has been much fear and anxiety in Nepal because of the pandemic. To combat these concerns, TWR teams spent five days traveling from village to village teaching women and children about health and hygiene, including the benefits of handwashing. They gave gifts of soap, masks, toothbrushes and toothpaste to those who attended the training. This helped ease the anxiety spurred by the coronavirus. More than 210 children and 300 women participated. This training, the Women of Hope programs discussing coronavirus, and TWR Nepal’s Facebook and YouTube pages all provided people with education and encouragement.
These women and children are not forgotten. Even during a pandemic when ministry looks different, TWR Nepal and TWR Women of Hope continue to invest in their lives by sharing health information and the Word of God.
In January, we are praying for education. Please pray …
- You see the marginalized, Lord, and can make a way for them. Show African communities how to provide opportunities for children to acquire reading, writing and counting skills so that they may thrive in life. (Prov. 1:1-7)
- Father, may your peace and love flow into the lives of students and teachers throughout Paraguay, replacing the fatigue and anxiety experienced through confinement. Infuse each person with strength, desire and joy as they begin the new school year. (Matt. 11:28-30)
- We need you desperately, Lord. May we declare your praises so that you can fight the darkness in our communities. Let us believe that it is not by might, nor by power, but by your Spirit that you work in and through us to accomplish your will in this world. (Zech. 4:6)
- Lord, give wisdom and virtuous hearts to education authorities in Poland, guiding them to choose school curricula that align with your Word. (Prov. 4:12-15)
- As women in Cambodia listen to Women of Hope programs, may they gain valuable practical knowledge during the “lessons for life” portion as well as encouragement and hope through the “lessons for the soul.” (Rom. 15:4)
- Lord, the poverty of rural China offers little opportunity, and many parents take their sons to the city for work. May this cycle of poor education be broken with excellent teachers taking positions in the mountainous villages and providing high-quality education to the rural girls left behind. (Phil. 1:6)
- Lord, change the hearts of parents and rural culture in Turkey, where 14- and 15-year-old girls are often forced to marry and stop their education even though it is officially forbidden in the nation. (Prov. 8:10-11)
- We praise you, God, that girls in Canada have the same access and rights to education as boys. We pray that they would use this opportunity to grow into God’s design for them as young women. (Jer. 29:11)
- May funds be raised in Nepal to provide basic literacy training and enable women to secure good jobs, setting them free from the bondage of poverty and anxiety. Use literacy training to enable women to read your Word and receive salvation through Jesus. (Isa. 61:1)
- Lord, may laws mandating compulsory education for all be carried out in Côte d’Ivoire. We pray that girls who enrol would complete their studies and not drop out due to forced marriage, pregnancy or sexual violence. (2 Tim. 4:7)
- We realize that prayer does not come naturally to everyone, Lord. Give wisdom to TWR Women of Hope as we seek to provide training about prayer. Place a longing in your people to speak to you in extended times of prayer and to pray together in unity for our nations. (Ps. 17:6-7)
- God, we pray for countries that are experiencing tribal divisions and ask that unity and peace will reign among people of these often-contentious groups. (Ps. 133:1)
- Getting a good, basic education is widely affirmed as a human right, but many failing school systems are not providing quality learning. Lord, help South African authorities to prioritize education as a basic, life-sustaining necessity for every child. (Job 34:4)
- Lord, our hearts break as we hear that the suicide rate among South Korean youth is rising due to school violence, bullying and overly competitive education. May they find protection and rest in you as their place of peace. (Prov. 8:32-36)
- We pray that the Lord will enable TWR Women of Hope to produce audio and video for use in helping prayer groups understand who God is, what his standards are and what conditions accompany his promises. (Isa. 40:8)
- God, thank you for the efforts of TWR and TWR Women of Hope staff in Liberia who, when the prayer groups meet, promote education among girls and women by having them read aloud from the Bible and memorize Scripture. (Josh. 1:8)
- Lord, we pray that girls and women in rural communities in India will get more opportunities for education and to access the Women of Hope program with its spiritual and life-skills lessons. (Prov. 1:20-21)
- We ask, Father, that you pour out your blessing on the TWR Women of Hope team in Côte d’Ivoire as they train women in beading, decoration, baking and sewing. (Exod. 31:3)
- Lord, teach Finnish people to recognize prejudices and stereotypes that they have toward other cultures and nations. Help them to realize the unity that exists among the diverse elements of your creation. (Col. 3:14)
- We praise you, Lord, that you are using the Women of Hope radio programs to train Paraguayan women in life skills and biblical knowledge. Thousands are being taught in the Guarani language, and imprisoned women are finding freedom for their emotions and souls. (Gal. 5:1)
- Father, raise up Christian groups and government programs to provide education and basic nutrition for the 4 million impoverished girls and boys in Indonesia who must work and beg to help provide income for their families. (Prov. 19:17)
- Give courage, Lord, to Norwegian Christian students so they will openly talk about their faith. Many do not share because they do not know how. May they be trained and then freely share their Christian faith with others. (2 Tim. 2:2)
- Lord, we pray for the protection of teachers who work in rough and violent areas of Brazil. Use them as agents of transformation. (Deut. 31:6)
- We pray for opportunities to introduce the Bible-reading plan to prayer groups in South Africa and to actively read through the Bible, together with our radio listeners, in one year. (2 Tim. 3:16)
- Father, lead volunteers to befriend and teach immigrant women who cannot understand or speak Swedish. Bring salvation to these immigrants as they listen to the program Welcome to Sweden, which comprises 10 episodes about Swedish culture and 10 episodes about God’s salvation plan. (Isa. 58:6)
- God, we praise you that women and girls in Uruguay are supported in their pursuit of education and training. Continue to use Women of Hope programs to encourage women and girls to aim for excellence in all they do. (Phil. 4:8)
- Father, we pray that educational opportunities would be provided in South Korea for orphans and children in low-income families whose parents struggle to support them. (Deut. 10:18)
- Thank you, Father, that literacy rates for women in China are rapidly increasing. In the past 18 years, literacy among women has risen from 51.14 per cent to 95.16 per cent. (Job 5:16)
- Lord, let those with influence and authority in Brazil invest in quality education from elementary school through university. We pray for resources and training to be provided for teachers. (1 Tim. 5:18b)
- Lord, guide our TWR Women of Hope leaders as they use tools like the prayer calendar to teach women in their prayer groups basic reading and writing skills. (James 1:5)
- God, we ask for emotional healing and unification of the divided Polish nation. (2 Chron. 30:12)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used with permission. All rights reserved worldwide.